Saturday, February 25, 2012

Free Ride on the Merry-Go-Round


Vertigo.
An involuntary
merry-go-round ride.

I experienced a pretty radical round of vertigo this past Sunday night. It was totally wacky, like being on a merry-go-round sans looped in circus music and I couldn’t get off the ride. It used to be that being on a rotating circular platform was a ton of fun but not when it’s involuntary!

Alas my amusement ride was not amusing and I was near panic. One minute everything was normal and the next moment my living room was spinning around me. Naturally I felt unsafe and filled up with anxiety. When I looked straight ahead at the front door it rotated to the left, returned to normal and then rotated to the left again. Other items in the living room spun around me. “What is the TV doing over there? This is insane, somebody get me off this crazy thing!” It was near impossible not to totally freak out.

All of my sources tell me that bouts of vertigo are pretty short lived and that I should continue to move about my life. Yet I was nervous. My first impulse, when the spinning finally stopped, was not to move around for the rest of the night. So that is exactly what I did. I plopped on the couch and didn’t move. Luckily, I found some strength the next morning and moved about my day as normal. And no more vertigo attacks for the rest of the week. Whew!

Apparently vertigo is a fairly common symptom of multiple sclerosis, affecting 20% of us MSers. How about you? Ever experience this type of involuntary merry-go-round ride? I would love to hear from you.

Take care and be well,
Christie 

3 comments:

  1. Hiya Christie,

    I have it once in a while. I also get nauseated and throw up while dizzy. My doc said to take "Gravol". I knew it would help the nausea, but it does the trick for the spins as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christie

    Love your blog! I don't have MS myself, but have a long-standing brain stem lesion, so a lot of my symptoms do overlap with multiple sclerosis - vertigo being with one of them. I have constant dizziness 24/7 but also have frequent attacks of vertigo, and could relate to your post as it's often how I feel and know how frightning it can be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Karen - good to hear Gravol works. I, too, get nauseated at times and will speak to my neuro about this. Thanks!

    Hey Riann - thanks so much for stopping by! Hope you're feeling okay and that your dizziness is not too intense. Best, Christie

    ReplyDelete

Did you enjoy this blog post? If so, why not leave a comment or share with your friends? P.S. Your comments will be posted soon, just as soon as I check for spam.

You Might Also Like: