Monday, March 3, 2014

7 days of MS Awareness Week – Day 1

“You’ve got this.”

MS Awareness Week kicks off today and will last through March 9 2014. So, what better way to kick off this important week than with a little video?  As part of a project hosted by Healthline called “You Got This”, I created and submitted a video about the four things I did when first diagnosed. Below is a recap of my chat.

Top 4 things I recommend when newly diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis:
  1. Gather information. I spent a good part of my early years with MS doing a lot of research. I read books, articles and surfed the web for information. It was important and remains important that I understand how those pesky lesions along my spinal cord will impact my life.
  2. Start treatment, promptly. First things first, sign up for a Disease Modifying Therapy (DMT) regimen. I was urged by my neuro to start DMT right away and was on treatment within a month of diagnosis. Slowing down the progression of MS is my main priority.
  3. Seek support. This is so important. I sought and still seek the love and support of my loved ones. And, I really appreciate the support from my MS friends, on and off line. Thanks you guys, for making me feel less alone.
  4. Do something you love, everyday. There’s something to this. Trying to do something that gives a bit of pleasure really helps me, reminding me that there is more to life than an MS diagnosis and doing something I love takes me away from dwelling on MS stuff. Great advice from a great friend.
The best part of creating the video? Healthline donated $$$s to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society (NMSS) and they are doing this with each video posted on their site. Awesome!

 

If you’d like to make a video yourself, have a look here:
You've Got This via Healthline.

How about you? What’s on your list of advice to someone newly diagnosed with MS? What have you learned through the years? Stop by and leave a note.  I would love to hear from you.

Best always & hugs!


Christie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy this blog post? If so, why not leave a comment or share with your friends? P.S. Your comments will be posted soon, just as soon as I check for spam.

You Might Also Like: