Sunday, September 7, 2014

Clouds come floating in

“Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.” - Rabindranath Tagore


I just love this quote because it serves as a great reminder that, yes, the clouds will roll in, bringing in the darkness that MS sometimes carries, yet, somehow, through the storm, there is something good and positive to look for.

Dwelling on all of the bad stuff that may come with an MS diagnosis will really drive us crazy as we chant “why me, why me.” Some things are not meant to be understood and we should try to move on. I do this by focusing on doing things that I enjoy. Try as I might, it does work.

The stuff I love includes riding my bicycle really, really fast, taking pictures, reading, writing, planning a trip, wandering and exploring, gardening, laughing, watching movies and all kinds of other goodies. In doing this, I forget for a few moments, hours or days, that I am someone living with Multiple Sclerosis. Any darkness hovering over me lifts and I move on, enjoying the gorgeous colors of life. Corny, I know. But, it works.

You see, by focusing on doing the things I enjoy, the burning sensation in my legs drifts away a little bit, the numbing and pain seemingly weakens. The fatigue may stay awhile but when focused on doing things I enjoy, like watching an awesome movie, that feeling of “I hit a brick wall” diminishes. Do my MS symptoms go away? Nah. They simply fall to the background as I focus on doing stuff that deters me from constantly thinking about on the numbing and pain that I always feel.

Receiving an MS diagnosis can be devastating. No doubt. It brings hardships that can be very difficult to endure. I think lessening the load is important as we try to remember that there is so much great stuff in life that can really bring us a lot of joy.

How about you? What are some things you enjoy doing? To help brighten your days and help you dwell a little bit less on MS symptoms? Would love to hear from you.

Best,
Christie

6 comments:

  1. You are so right! That first year after my DX were hard and devastating and just plain awful. But soon enough I realized that I was creating most of my own drama. Once I figured out how to manage the symptoms I was able to then start living. I wish I would've learned that much earlier.

    I work full time in a job I love. I thought I wouldn't be able to continue doing it. What I found out though, people will help me. They make accommodations. I just had to tell them what was going on and what I needed. That dreaded conversation with the boss. I'm fortunate... I know many employers wouldn't be so willing to help a person with limitations.

    I work... I read, draw, do sports photography (and other types too), I watch movies, I dance in my hobbly way.

    I do what I can even if it kicks my butt the next day...

    Living is the most important thing.

    Live life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for stopping by Sherri ! Much appreciated. Love your quote, "live life" !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Twitter friend with MS. He's been asymptomatic lately, as in over three years. Unless he's had mini-symptoms that went unnoticed. I don't know him, just know who he is. He's a known individual and he's a race car driver. I'm a fan of that and I have a blog, which is about me and my interests. I don't have MS, but I've known people with it. Like when I was a kid, I had a neighbor with it and a woman with used to go to my church. I have something else, which shows up in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there - thanks for stopping by and nice to meet you. Hope your Twitter friend is feeling okay these days. Spread the hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christie

    I just came across this post and absolutely love it. It is just what I needed to read today!! I was diagnosed three weeks ago and have been able to stay positive most of the time, but sometimes it still gets overwhelming.

    I hope you are feeling okay and that you're still loving those things that you enjoy. Thanks for the positivity x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you stopped by and it's nice to meet you. It definitely can be overwhelming and don't forget your positive spirit. Take care, Christie

      Delete

Did you enjoy this blog post? If so, why not leave a comment or share with your friends? P.S. Your comments will be posted soon, just as soon as I check for spam.

You Might Also Like: